Identity
Over the past few years, I have thought a lot about why we go on field trips to museums and I think have been more purposeful about taking my class to a particular place. I definitely believe there is value in visiting a museum for the experience of seeing amazing artifacts and hearing a different voice when we go on a guided tour. There is value in learning outside of the classroom, as it shows children that learning can happen in many places that they can go throughout their life. There is also such a huge impact when someone can see their story and experiences reflected back to them through exhibits, and in art and literature.
Last year, I planned a trip to the Freer|Sackler museum in DC to see a sculpture by Xu Bing. As we walked into the museum, one of the parent chaperones passed by a sign that said "Where Asia Meets America", one of the museums tag lines. She gasped and laughed happily as she exclaimed "That's me!" Seeing our stories preserved and displayed for all to see is a powerful thing. As the year progressed, and as I got to know my students better, I became more deliberate in my choices for things like museum trips, read alouds, and artwork to examine. I wanted all my students to have the same experience as that mom - the "that's me!" moment to celebrate with the class.
I watched one little boy fly across the hall with his arms spread out wide when he saw a display on Colombia outside a classroom. He couldn't wait to see what it said about his country and to tell us all that he knew. When reading The Sound of Silence by Katrina Goldsaito, a little girl exclaimed "my grandma has tatami mats too" when we came to the page where the family was going to bed. Another little boy couldn't wait to tell me all that he knew about the red seals on a Japanese woodblock print of a magpie that we were examining.
The magic of seeing our stories and experiences in the world validates our identity and who we are as a person.
Comments
Post a Comment